KUALA LUMPUR, 18 May 2012 - Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) excelled in the 23rd Invention, Innovation and Technology Exhibition (ITEX 2012) when its researchers won 9 gold medals, besides bagging the award for the highest number of medals won for all its 15 inventions contested.
On top of the gold medals, three more USM inventions won the silver medal, while the remaining three products won the bronze medal in the competition which was held at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre here today.
The head of the USM delegation to ITEX 2012, Prof. Hanafi Ismail said that the achievement proved that USM is excellent in producing high quality research products.
He said that the innovations developed in USM have achieved the level which is ready for commercialisation, besides setting a new benchmark in the university’s performance in a world class competition.
"We emphasise more on the product quality rather than the quantity. In order to participate in ITEX, we selected 15 products that truly meet the set standards,'' he said.
He added that USM’s achievement in winning 60 per cent of the total gold medals offered was a huge and proud achievement.
"We will ensure that this excellent performance can be continued in the future by focusing on efforts that ensure the level and quality of the inventions are in the class of its own,'' he said.
ITEX 2012 RESULTS
1. 8-R2R-NIL: A Roll to roll Nanoimprint Lithography system as a new tool for future nano manufacturing process- Dr. Khairudin Mohamed – GOLD
2. The BRAINwaves System: A Mind Stimulating System to Increase Alertness-Prof. Dr. Zalina Ismail – GOLD
3. Temperature Controller for Heated Glass-Prof. Madya Dr. Mohd. Fadzil Ain- GOLD
4. Natural, Biodegradable and Non-Toxic Coagulant-Prof. Abdul Latif Ahmad – GOLD
5. Chilli Powder-Enriched Layered Noodles With Enhanced Capsaicin Retain Ability - Prof. Azhar Mat Easa – GOLD
6. Key Performance Indicator Monitoring System (KPI-MS) - Prof. Madya Phua Kia Kien – GOLD
7. EZ Typhi-Paratyphi DNA-Dipstick – Dr. Aziah Ismail – GOLD
8. Malware Analysis and Prediction System (MAPS) - Dr. Aman Jantan – GOLD
9. FR4 Label Free DNA Sensor Integrated With Standalone Readout Circuity – Dr. Asrulnizam Abd Manaf – GOLD
10. E-PLAST – A New and Novel Edible Plastic – Prof. Hanafi Ismail – SILVER
11. New Laser Measurement System for Piston Slap – Prof. Madya Zaidi Mohd. Ripin – SILVER
12. AMMIBA EcoMAT – Prof. Madya Baharin Azahari – SILVER
13. Cordless Cart Follower for Wheelchair User – Dr. Syed Sahal Nazli Alhady Syed Hassan – BRONZE
14. Sustainable Pocket Education: Interactive Mobile Learning – Dr. Issham Ismail – BRONZE
15. Real-Time Fish Monitoring Tool with Notification Capabilitiy – Mohd. Azam Osman - BRONZE